Saturday, May 19, 2012

What's for dinner?


I was asked what foods I ate while losing weight. Here are some of the foods I eat each week:

WATER! its getting hot out, check if you're thirsty before you check if you're hungry.
1. "Crystal Light PURE" there are a few flavors (lemon, berry). They taste SO MUCH BETTER than regular Crystal Light (YUCK!) Easy to carry in car or diaper bag.
To save money, I make at home: 8 cups of water + 1/4 cup sugar + 1/4 cup Lemon juice from a bottle = 6 points per day, and ALL of my water. 

2. I'm weird, I like plain carbonated water. Most people think I'm crazy. Arrowhead makes a raspberry lime carbonated water that is like $1.19. 

3. Coffee Bean "No Sugar Added" Vanilla powder in my decaf instead of milk and sugar. It's fast, tasty, and then I'm not over pouring milk into my coffee.

GOOD FATS, be less hungry:
1. Carl's Jr has a Guacamole Turkey burger that is less expensive than their other stuff, and a few hundred less calories. I LOVE GUACAMOLE. It wont stuff you full like a regular burger, but you won't be hungry for a few hours. 

2. Also, Avocado: eat your healthy oils every day, it will make you feel less hungry. I never feel like I'm dieting if I get to eat avocado every day. I share with the boys (helps them poop), and that keeps me from eating the whole darn thing myself.

3. Emeralds Cocoa Roasted Almonds. Its an extra point for the cocoa, but I'm sick of plain almonds. If you're still hungry after one serving, it's actually time for a meal, not just a snack ($5 at Target. expensive, but tasty, easy to keep in the car, and fill up the the lid - it is a serving-size of almonds).

4. Almonds: plain are gross, roasted are usually also salted. If you look, in some stores you can find roasted unsalted almonds, I really like those. 

FRUIT Make a smoothie at home:
Costco frozen fruit, $10 per bag. I like the berries best, here is the smoothie I usually make:
1 1/2 cup berries,
1/4 plain greek yogurt (greek yogurt is VERY filling, but it tastes and has texture like sour cream - so dont expect it to taste like Yoplait).
2 splenda, or even 2 sugar.
a squirt of lemon juice (complements the berries VERY nicely)
water (enough to make it blend to the consistency you like, I make mine thick like sorbet and eat it with a spoon).
When you feel like it, add a spinach leaf or two: it makes the smoothie smell earthy, but not taste too different. Also, I make my smoothie thick. William calls it ice cream, I pour some into a dixie cup for him.
If it's the end of the day, and I haven't had healthy oils yet, I put two teaspoons oil in my smoothie (can't taste it).

FIBER is filling:

I tend to need a lot of fiber (to make up for the stupid milk habit). Costco sells giant 2-packs of bread (we do almost all shopping at costco) I get white bread for the boys and ian, and I get high-fiber bread for me in their 2 for $6 pack. I forget the name but one of them has 2-3 grams more fiber per slice than the others (healthy nut or multigrain or something, the wheat isn't that high in fiber).

Peanut butter and breakfast cerial are high in sugar and calories, without being filling at all: I started making Egg Mc Muffins at home. I got a plastic thing for microwaving eggs, I use it EVERY MORNING. I make a 3-egg muffin, and I took out one yolk at a time, until I liked eating the eggwhites. I eat the muffin with mustard, and Canadian bacon. My BFF can't stand eggwhites without yolks, she'd rather buy egg beaters. She (cooks for 7) mixes egg beaters with regular eggs to cut back on yolks.

No comments:

Post a Comment